You can make these crunchy and soft strawberry crumble bars with only 5 ingredients: flour, sugar, butter, cornstarch and strawberries!
Today I share my strawberry crumble bars which are both crunchy and soft. The crust is crunchy, it becomes soft in the middle as the strawberries give a little bit moisture which makes me love these bars a lot.
In this recipe, I use only 5 ingredients; flour, sugar, butter, cornstarch and strawberries. This is a very simple but very yummy recipe. I use the same dough for the crust and the crumbles.
First, I make a thick crust as I love the crust very much. Then I spread the strawberry filling over the crust which tastes like a strawberry jam but lighter than jam. Finally, I sprinkle the crumbs over the strawberries and bake.
The dough is very similar to my 4 Ingredient Easy Cinnamon Cookies.
Let’s see the steps;
How to Make Strawberry Crumble Bars
First I chop the washed and dried strawberries into small pieces. Sometimes strawberries can be very juicy. I don’t take any risk so after I chop them, I put them on a paper towel to let them dry. By this way, if there is any excess liquid, it is removed. I keep the strawberries aside.
Then I make the crust with flour, butter and sugar. I make a delicious crust with only 3 ingredients. First I combine the flour and sugar in a big bowl. After, I add the cold butter pieces and cover them with flour mixture. I start to rub them with my fingertips until they look like breadcrumbs.
Alternatively, you can use a fork to cut the butter into the flour mixture.
Then, I place ⅔ of the dough into my oven proof dish and spread it evenly with a spoon. If the spoon sticks to the mixture, you can lightly flour the spoon to avoid sticking. I keep ⅓ of the dough in the bowl and store it in the freezer until ready to use.
Later, I toss the strawberries with sugar and cornstarch. I use cornstarch as a thickener. I use 450 grams (2 ½ cups) of chopped strawberries for a thick filling. If you don’t want a thick strawberry mixture, you can use 360 grams (2 cups) of strawberries. I cover the dough with strawberries.
Then I remove the bowl from the freezer. I make some big crumble pieces by squeezing crumble mixture with my hand. I cover the strawberries with crumbles. Using my fingertips, I gently press to the crumbles.
I bake for 55-60 minutes until the top becomes golden brown and the crumbles are crunchy. I let it cool at room temperature for 1-1,5 hours. Then I keep in the fridge for extra 1,5 hours until they are completely cool so when I lift the paper from the sides, it keeps its shape.
If you try to lift the paper before it is completely cool, it will break apart, it will taste still good but more like eating strawberry crumbles instead of bars. When it is cool, I cut it into 16 pieces with a sharp knife.
Enjoy these yummy strawberry crumble bars!
Other Fruit Recipes You May Enjoy!
- Peach Crumble Bars
- Blueberry Oatmeal Bars
- Strawberry Crumble Cake
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Muffins
- Easy Blondie Recipe
- Easy Strawberry Mousse
- Strawberry White Chocolate Cups
- Strawberry Cookie Cups
- Frozen Banana Bites
I love hearing from you! If you try my Strawberry Crumble Bars recipe or my other recipes please leave a comment and give a star rating!
5 Ingredient Strawberry Crumble Bars
Crust and Crumbles
- 280 g (2 cups) all-purpose flour (dip and sweep)*
- 185 g (¾ cup and 1 tablespoon) unsalted butter, cut into small cubes, cold
- 155 g (¾ cup) granulated sugar
- 450 g (2 and ½ cups) strawberries, chopped into small pieces**
- 30 g (2 tablespoons) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 350°F(177C°). Grease 8 inch (20cm) square oven-proof dish and line the bottom and sides with parchment paper, about 2 inches(5 cm) of overhang on each side.
- Chop the strawberries into small pieces. If the strawberries seem very juicy, put them on the paper towel to let them dry so if there is any excess liquid, it will be removed. Keep the strawberries aside.
Crust and Crumbles
- Place the flour and sugar in a big mixing bowl. Add in the cold butter pieces and cover with flour mixture. Rub them with your fingertips until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Put ⅔ of the dough into the oven proof dish and spread it evenly with a spoon. You may need to lightly flour the spoon to avoid it sticking to the flour-butter mixture. Keep ⅓ of the dough in the bowl and store the bowl in the freezer until ready to use.
- Toss the chopped strawberries with sugar and cornstarch. (If there is excess juice left in the bowl don't use it while covering the crust.)
- Cover the crust with strawberries. Remove the bowl from the fridge and gently sprinkle and cover the strawberries with crumbles.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes until the top becomes golden brown and the crumbles are crispy. Let it completely cool before removing the bars from the dish. Once they are cool, lift the paper from sides, remove the bars from dish, cut into 16 pieces.
Update Notes: I originally shared this post on May 16, 2017. I republish it today with new photos.