You can make this delicious and easy strawberry mousse without gelatin with simple ingredients! Strawberry mousse and crushed shortbread cookies make a nice combination.
When you want to make a delicious and easy strawberry dessert, you can make these eggless strawberry mousse cups.
Strawberry mousse consists of 3 simple ingredients; strawberries, sugar and heavy cream. So this is an easy strawberry mousse recipe without gelatin just like my lemon mousse recipe.
I like to pair strawberry mousse with my almond shortbread cookies. If you like you can make my vanilla shortbread cookies.
Any almond or vanilla crunchy cookies that you like will work as well. But if you want to make only the mousse part, you can simply skip the cookie step.
My cookie recipe has 4 ingredients. I make layers with my crushed almond shortbread cookies.
When I make these almond cookies, normally I dip them into the chocolate and sprinkle crushed almonds on top but you don’t need those extra steps for this recipe.
I make the cookies while I let the strawberries dry on a paper towel. The cookie recipe is a mixture of butter, flour, sugar and almond extract (or vanilla extract if making vanilla cookies).
So this cookie recipe is easy to make besides being delicious. Your active time to make them for today’s recipe is only 5 minutes!
Ingredients you’ll need
You can find the exact quantities at the bottom of my post, in the recipe card.
- Strawberries-We need fresh strawberries. We’ll make a strawberry puree and use it while making the mousse and also use it as a puree for the top layer.
- Sugar-We’ll use it with strawberries to make a strawberry puree.
- Heavy Cream-We’ll whip the heavy cream and fold into strawberry puree.
Let’s see the steps;
Step by step instructions
First I wash, remove the stem of the strawberries and dry them on a paper towel.
While the strawberries are drying, I make my shortbread cookies. I need ⅓ of the recipe.
I simply mix all the ingredients, round the dough into balls and bake. As I crush them, they don’t need to look perfect but each cookie has to be in similar size so they can bake at the same time.
In the recipe card below you can find a link for both almond and vanilla cookies.
It takes almost 5 minutes to prepare the dough and roll them into balls. When the cookies slightly change color and the top of the cookies set, I remove them from the oven.
When the cookies are baked, I place the strawberries and sugar into a blender and make a puree. It takes less than a minute.
I reserve just a little more than ½ cup of the puree (130 grams) to use later.
Next, I whip the heavy cream with a stand mixer using a whisk attachment. You can use a hand mixer if you like.
I start with low speed, gradually increase to high speed and whisk for almost 2 minutes until it holds soft peaks.
Then I gently fold the strawberry puree (not the reserved one) with my spatula into whipped cream in 3 batches. I run the spatula through the strawberry puree and go around the edges and the bottom, scoop up the heavy cream and strawberry puree mixture and fold over whipped cream without deflating. And I repeat this scooping and folding step until all combined well. I set aside the mouse.
After the strawberry mousse is ready, I place the cookies in a freezer bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
Finally, I start to assemble my cups.
First I put 1 and ½ tablespoons of cookie crumbles into the cups. I make sure that the crumbles are touching the sides so we can see them as a layer.
Then I carefully put ½ cup of the strawberry mousse on top with a spoon.
Next, I add another 1 and ½ tablespoons of cookie crumbles and again make sure they are touching the sides.
Then I add 2 tablespoons of strawberry mousse on top.
I pour the strawberry puree that I set aside on top. When I divide it into cups, it makes almost 2 tablespoons of puree in each cup. I gently swirl the cups to spread the puree. It doesn’t have to cover the whole top. I sprinkle some cookie crumbles into the middle.
Then I make a half-cut from the bottom middle of 6 strawberries to attach them to the side of each cup which is optional.
I prefer to let them cool in the fridge at least an hour. They’ll be more refreshing.
I hope you enjoy these strawberry dessert cups!
How to store
You can store in the fridge for up to 3 days with a lid or cling film/aluminum foil on top.
Other Strawberry Recipes You May Enjoy!
- Strawberry Crumble Bars
- Strawberry Crumble Cake
- Strawberry White Chocolate Cups
- Strawberry Cookie Cups
I love hearing from you! If you try this recipe or my other recipes please leave a comment and give a star rating!
Easy Strawberry Mousse Without Gelatin
- 432 g (3 cups) strawberries
- 105 g (½ cup) granulated sugar
- 235 g (1 cup) heavy cream
- ⅓ recipe almond shortbread cookies
- or vanilla shortbread cookies
- 6 strawberries ,optional
- Wash, remove the stem of the strawberries and dry them on a paper towel.
- While the strawberries are drying, make the cookies.*
- Once the cookies are baked, start to make the mousse: Place the strawberries and sugar in a blender and blend until pureed. Reserve a little more than ½ cup of the puree (130 grams) aside.
- Whip the heavy cream with a hand mixer or with a stand mixer using a whisk attachment. Start with low speed and gradually increase to high and whip almost for 2 minutes or until it holds soft peaks.
- Gently fold the strawberry puree (not the one you reserved) into whipped cream in 3 batches with a spatula. (Run the spatula through the strawberry puree and go around the edges and the bottom, scoop up the heavy cream and strawberry puree mixture and fold over whipped cream without deflating. Repeat until all combined well.)
- Place 1 and ½ tablespoons cookie crumbles into the medium-sized serving cups. Let the crumbles touch the sides of the cups so the layers can be seen.
- Spoon ½ cup of the strawberry mousse on top.
- Add another 1 and ½ tablespoons of cookie layer on top, again the crumbles should touch the sides.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of the mousse on top.
- Sprinkle cookie crumbles on top.
- Make a half cut from the bottom middle of the 6 strawberries to attach strawberries to the side of the cups (optional).
Leave a Reply