You can easily make delicious vanilla shortbread cookies with few ingredients! These crunchy slice-and-bake cookies are so yummy with white chocolate!
Today, I want to share my easy and crunchy shortbread vanilla cookies. This is my Easy Cinnamon Cookies’ vanilla version in slice and bake form.
If you like cakey, puffy vanilla cookies, you can make my vanilla cake-like cookies.
But today’s post is crunchy vanilla cookies with 4 ingredients: flour, butter, sugar and vanilla. I mix all the ingredients, divide the dough in half, make logs out of them, keep them almost 40 minutes in the freezer until they are firm and then bake for 12-14 minutes.
These easy vanilla cookies give you the crunchiness.
If you don’t want to keep them in the freezer and want to bake immediately, instead of slice-and-bake, you can make these cookies just like my easy cinnamon cookies; roll the dough into balls, flatten the balls and give shape with a fork, or just flatten the balls.
I strongly suggest you dip these cookies into melted white chocolate-so YUMMY!
Below you can see how I make my easy vanilla cookies with my stand mixer. (You can check my almond shortbread cookies to make it without a mixer.)
How to Make Vanilla Shortbread Cookies
First, I put the cubed butter in the bowl of my stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat until it is soft.
Then I add the sugar and beat until the butter and sugar mixture is light and fluffy. After butter and sugar are creamed well, I add the vanilla and mix. Finally, I add in the flour and mix until totally combined.
During these processes, when needed, I stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl again. The dough looks like crumbles but I use my hand to bring the dough together.
Then I take the dough from the bowl and divide it in two and make logs out of them. I give rectangular shape and cover with plastic film.
After that, my niece helps me-rolling and making logs out of the doughs with her little hands ( She also takes some of the pictures for this post :)) I keep the logs in the freezer for 40 minutes until they are firm. Alternatively, you can keep them in the fridge 4-5 hours until they are firm enough.
When the doughs are firm, I take them from the freezer. Then I cut them with a sharp knife into approximately 0.4 inch (1cm) thick slices.
I bake for 12-14 minutes until the edges are lightly brown. I let them cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes. The cookies become firm and crunchy as they cool.
Finally, I dip some of the cookies into the melted white chocolate which goes very well with these vanilla cookies. Enjoy!
If you like chocolate-orange combination, you should also try my chocolate orange shortbread cookies!
Easy Slice-and-Bake Vanilla Shortbread Cookies
- 280 g (2 cups) all-purpose flour (dip and sweep)*
- 185 g (3/4 cup and 1 tablespoon) butter, at room temperature, cut into cubes
- 105 g (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 150 g (5 oz) white chocolate, chopped (optional)
- Mixer method: Place the butter in a large bowl and beat on medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes until it is soft with a hand-held mixer or with paddle attachment if using a stand-mixer. Add the sugar and cream/beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with rubber spatula when needed to be sure they are all mixed.
- Add the vanilla and mix.
- Add in flour mixture in 2-3 batches until it is totally incorporated.
- Alternative no machine method: Place the flour and sugar in a medium bowl and mix well. Add the vanilla extract and mix with a spoon. Add the butter. Using a fork, cut the butter into flour mixture or rub butter and flour mixture with your fingertips. Finally use your hands to bring the dough together.
- Divide the dough in half and place each on a plastic film. Give a rectangular shape to each and cover with plastic film. Start to roll the doughs into approximately 5,5 inches (14 cm) long logs. Keep them in the freezer for 40 minutes, or 4-5 hours in the fridge until they are firm.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F(177C°). Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- Take the doughs from the freezer/refrigerator and cut the logs into 0.4 inch(1cm)thick slices. Place them on the baking sheet and bake for 12-14 minutes until the edges are lightly golden brown.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet. They will be crunchy as they cool.
- If you want, you can dip the cookies into the melted white chocolate. Melt the chocolate over bain-marie. Place the chopped chocolate into a heat proof bowl that sits over a pan of simmering water. Stir often. Dip cookies into the melted white chocolate.