You can make these delicious blueberry oatmeal bars with only 7 simple ingredients! It takes less than an hour from preparing to baking these bars. I use the same dough for the crust and crumbles which makes this recipe extra easy!
Crunchy crumbles and lemony blueberry filling are delicious together in these oatmeal blueberry bars. It’s like eating blueberry jam between the crust and the crumbles.
They are perfect for dessert or a snack. These blueberry lemon bars can be a special breakfast treat as well.
This dessert is pretty easy to make. Let’s start with the ingredients and continue with step by step photos.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Blueberries-I use lots of blueberries to completely cover the crust.
- Lemon-I use both the juice and zest for the filling.
- Cornstarch-It thickens the filling.
- All-purpose flour-It creates structure in the crust and crumbles.
- Oatmeal-I use rolled oats almost the same amount of flour.
- Butter-I use melted butter, it brings the dough together besides its delicious taste.
- Sugar-I use granulated sugar both for the dough and the filling.
Step by step instructions
First I place the flour, oatmeal, sugar into a medium bowl and mix with a spoon.
Then I add the melted butter on top and stir with a spoon.
I set aside ⅓ of the mixture (it is just a little more than packed ⅔ cup or to be precise it is 190 grams) and place ⅔ of the mixture into an ovenproof dish that is lined with parchment paper and spread the mixture evenly with a spoon. If you like, you can use your hands to spread.
Next, I place the blueberries into a medium bowl and mix in the sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and lemon zest.
Then I place the blueberry mixture over the crust and spread ⅓ of the dough mixture that I set aside on top. I slightly press to the crumbles with my fingertips so they can stick to blueberries.
Finally, I bake for almost 38-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the crumbles are crunchy.
I let it completely cool before I cut it into 16 slices. They are delicious when they are warm but it is like eating blueberry oatmeal crumble instead of eating blueberry bars.
I hope you enjoy these blueberry lemon bars!
Frequently asked questions
Yes, you can! You don’t need to thaw before using.
You can store totally cooled bars in an airtight container for up to a week. Don’t store at room temperature as they’ll become soft.
You can freeze totally cooled bars for up to 3 months in an airtight container and thaw overnight in the fridge.
MY OTHER SUMMER RECIPES!
- Frozen Strawberry White Chocolate Cups
- No-Churn Praline Ice Cream
- Kiwi Orange Popsicles
- Healthy Lemonade
- Frozen Banana Bites
- Frozen Chocolate Banana Bites
Blueberry Oatmeal Bars
Crust and Cumbles
- 140 grams (1 cup) all-purpose flour, dip and sweep
- 144 grams (1 and ½ cup) rolled oats
- 140 grams (⅔ cup) granulated sugar
- 150 grams (⅔ cup) unsalted butter, melted and cooled*
- 300 grams (2 cups) blueberries**
- 50 grams (¼ cup) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 and ½ teaspoons lemon zest (zest of 1 large lemon)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F(177°C). Grease 8 inch (20cm) square ovenproof dish and line the bottom and sides with parchment paper, about 2 inches(5 cm) of overhang on each side.
- Place the flour, rolled oats, sugar in a medium bowl and stir with a spoon/spatula. Stir in the melted butter.
- Set ⅓ of the mixture aside(it is 190 grams or just alittle more than a fully packed ⅔ cup) for the crumbles. Using a spoon spread remaning ⅔ of the mixture into an oven-proof dish that is lined with parchment paper.
- Place the blueberries into a medium bowl. Mix in the sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Pour the blueberry mixture over the crust and then sprinkle the remaining dough over the blueberries. Gently press to the crumbles with your fingertips so they will stick to the blueberries.
- Bake for almost 38-40 minutes until the top becomes golden brown and the crumbles are crunchy. Let it cool completely before cutting into slices.