You can easily learn how to make healthy peanut butter without additives and preservatives! This is a very simple recipe that you can make any time!
Lately, I am making and eating peanut butter a lot. I eat it with a spoon, spread it on toast, use in my overnight oats, make healthy balls, etc. So it is time to share a healthy peanut butter post.
I like a little bit sweetness in my peanut butter so I add just a small amount of honey. I make this healthy spread with only 2 ingredients: Peanuts and honey! I don’t use any oil as I don’t need it. If you want it plain, then you need only 1 ingredient- peanuts!
It takes only 4 minutes with my food processor to turn the whole peanuts into peanut butter. But before blending the peanuts, I toast them even if I have already toasted peanuts at home.
Why Should We Toast Peanuts to Make Peanut Butter?
There are 2 reasons:
- It is peanut butter so it would be nice to feel its aroma. 🙂 Even if you have toasted peanuts at home, it makes a difference when you toast them again. If you taste your peanuts before and after toasted, you will feel the difference. So one of the reasons is for its aroma.
- If you toasted any kind of nuts before, you may have realized that after you toast them, the nuts look shinier and the spoon you use to mix them has an oily look. It happens as the nuts give off their oil as you toast them. As I don’t use any extra oil in my peanut butter, I want my machine to process them easily and this toasting step helps for it.
How to Make Healthy Homemade Peanut Butter
First, I toast my peanuts. I swirl the pan and stir the peanuts with a spoon in every almost 20 seconds to avoid them burning. We don’t want a bitter taste in our peanut butter.
You can use salted or unsalted peanuts. If you have a question about their skin, you need to use unskinned peanuts. As we don’t use any extra oil, we don’t want peanuts’ skins to absorb the peanut oil.
After I toast my peanuts, I place them into my food processor. I start to process at medium speed for 15 seconds and then process at high speed. At the end of 1 minute, I have nicely grounded peanuts. It may differ from machine to machine so if it takes more than 1 minute that’s ok.
I scrape down the sides and blend for 1 minute again. It starts to come together.
Then I scrape down the sides, I process for 1 minute. It gives off all the oil-almost done. I add 1 teaspoon of honey. 1 teaspoon is enough as I just want a little sweetness, not too much. Next, I add a little salt to taste.
After I scrape down the sides, I process for an extra 1 minute and it is done! If you want to add extra salt or honey, you can add them now and process for an extra 15 seconds.
I transfer my healthy peanut butter into a glass jar and keep in the refrigerator.
You May Also Enjoy My Other How-To Posts
- Homemade Tahini
- Homemade Condensed Milk
- How to Peel Peaches
- Homemade Caramel Sauce Recipe
- Homemade Lemon Curd
I love hearing from you! If you try my Homemade Peanut Butter recipe or my other recipes please leave a comment and give a star rating!
How to Make Healthy Peanut Butter
- 300 g (2 cups) peanuts salted or unsalted, unskinned
- 1 teaspoon honey, optional
- salt to taste, optional
- Place the peanuts in a large pan and toast over medium heat for almost 7-8 minutes. Stir in every 15-20 seconds to prevent them from burning. Take them from the heat when they give off their aroma.
- Put the toasted hazelnuts into the food processor. Process until creamy: Start to pulse at medium speed for 10-15 seconds and then go to high. First the peanuts will be grounded, then the oil will start to give off-the peanuts will become together, finally, the peanuts will give off the whole oil and you will have a creamy look. At this point add in the honey and salt. Process for extra 1 minute. If you want to add additional salt or honey, you can add and process for extra 10-15 seconds. The whole process takes almost 4 minutes. At the end of each 1-1,5 minutes, scrape down the sides.
- Transfer the peanut butter into a glass jar and refrigerate until use.