When you want to eat something savory, you can easily make these sunflower seed cookies!
Today I want to share my savory sunflower seed cookies. After making so many sweet cookies and testing them, that’s what I need! Some savory cookies! Sunflower seeds give me all the salt I need.
They are melt-in-your-mouth cookies and very easy to make.
I start by mixing flour, salt and sugar in a medium bowl. A little amount of sugar always gives a nice taste to savory cookies.
Later I cream the butter. Then I add the egg and mix well. Finally, I add in the flour mixture and mix until all totally combined.
After the dough is ready, I roll the dough into 25 grams balls. Alternatively, you can divide the dough equally into 20 pieces and roll each into a ball as this recipe makes 20 cookies. I flatten them with a measuring cup. That’s the method I use in my 4 Ingredient Easy Cookies recipe where you can see step by step pictures. The only exception in this recipe is that I don’t use a fork to give a shape after flattening them.
After you give shape, you have two options:
You can glaze them with an egg yolk. I already had egg yolk from my Flourless Hazelnut Cocoa Cookies so I glazed some of my cookies with an egg yolk. But if you don’t want to use egg yolk for some reason; you may need a whole egg for some other recipe, you can glaze them with milk too. I glazed some of my cookies with milk which also works well for gluing the sunflower seed. When I glaze the cookies with egg wash, they look shinier than milk glazed cookies but both of them are tasty.
Finally, I bake them for 15 minutes. After I take them from the oven, I keep them on the baking sheet for 15 minutes.
Enjoy your savory sunflower seed cookies!
Savory Sunflower Seed Cookies
- 280 g (2 cups) all-purpose flour (dip and sweep)*
- 150 g (⅔ cup) butter, at room temperature, cut into cubes
- 1 large egg
- 6 g (1 teaspoon) salt
- 5 g (1 teaspoon) sugar
- 45 g (⅓ cup) sunflower seeds
- 15 g (1 tablespoon) milk OR egg wash (1 egg yolk+1 teaspoon water)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F(177C°). Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- Combine flour, salt and sugar in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Place the butter in a large bowl and beat on medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes until it is soft with a hand-held mixer or with paddle attachment if using a stand-mixer. Add the egg and mix well. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with rubber spatula to be sure they are all mixed.
- Add in the flour mixture and mix well until the dough comes together.
- Take 25 gram pieces ( a little bit more than 1 tablespoon can take) of the dough and roll them into balls. Alternatively, you can divide the dough equally into 20 pieces and roll each into a ball as this recipe makes 20 cookies. Press the balls preferably with a flat-bottomed glass or a measuring cup to flatten them evenly or with the palm of your hand.
- Glaze the cookies with milk or egg wash them by mixing 1 egg yolk with 1 teaspoon of water. Sprinkle the sunflower seeds on top of them.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the edges change color. Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool for 15 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring them to a wire rack to completely cool.