If you like lemon and white chocolate together, this delicious cookie cake with its sweet and tart flavor is for you!
I am very excited to share my recipe today. I love all the recipes I share here and it makes me very happy when I develop a recipe and it turns out good. But today I am overjoyed as it contains lemon and white chocolate. I love lemon desserts a lot and this soft cookie cake, crispy at the edges, with sweet and tart flavor, tastes just so good.
White chocolate is very different than milk or bitter chocolate. I don’t know anyone who has strong negative words for these two. On the other hand, white chocolate has either fans or opponents. Some people even say, it is not a chocolate as it doesn’t contain cocoa mass but contains cocoa butter.
What I know is I love white chocolate since I was a kid. I love its rich taste. White chocolate is sweet and buttery so it is important to remember when developing a recipe. Don’t surprise when you see the sugar amount in my recipe. This cookie cake is sweet enough, you don’t need to increase the sugar amount 😉
I use good amount of lemon juice and lemon zest which give the nice tart flavor.
Below you can see the “stars” of my cookie cake. I use 1 tablespoon of packed lemon zest. Actually I am not sure if I can use the word “packed” for the lemon zest. I almost use 2 medium-big size lemons to get enough peel. I read many times as 1 medium-size lemon yields 1 tablespoon of lemon zest which is not the case for me. That’s why I especially write “packed”.
Let’s go through the steps;
First, I put the sugar and lemon zest in a big bowl and mix-press with my fork. Then I add in the flour and mix well.
Next, I add the cubed butter and rub them with my fingers until they look like crumbs.
Then, I add the lemon juice and start to stir with my spatula.
Finally I add the white chocolate and mix it evenly. I place the dough in the cake pan and spread it. The dough is stiff so I spread it slowly. You can use your measuring cup to give an even thickness.
I bake for 22-25 minutes or until the edges become darker, and the top is lightly golden brown but still soft. If you over bake, it won’t be soft. I take the cookie cake from the oven and keep it for 10 minutes in the cake pan. Before I open the pan, by using my small spatula, I make sure the cookie cake is not attached to the sides of the pan (you can use a knife too). I don’t remove the cake pan’s bottom until the cookie cake is firm enough. While still warm, I cut into 12 slices. Then, I melt the white chocolate. I dip my fork into the melted chocolate and drizzle it over the cookie cake. I repeat this step until I get this beautiful look.
Enjoy all the slices!
Soft Lemon & White Chocolate Cookie Cake
- 280 g (2 cups) all-purpose flour (dip and sweep)*
- 130 g (⅓ cup and ¼ cup) butter, at room temperature, cut into cubes
- 85 g (⅓ cup and 1 tablespoon) granulated sugar
- 60 g (¼ cup) lemon juice
- 6 g (1 tablespoon) lemon zest
- 150 g (5 oz) white chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 30 g (1 oz) white chocolate, melted for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 325°F(165C°). Line the bottom of a 9 inch (23cm) springform cake pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Put the sugar and lemon zest in a big bowl and mix with a fork or rub with your hand. Add in the flour and mix well.
- Add the cubed butter and rub them with your fingers until they look like crumbs. Then add in the lemon juice and start to stir with a spatula.
- Stir in the white chocolate and mix it evenly. The dough is stiff. Place the dough in the cake pan and spread it slowly. (You can use your measuring cup and press to the spread dough for an even thickness)
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until the edges become darker, and the top is lightly golden brown but still soft. Take the cookie cake from the oven and keep it for 10 minutes in the cake pan. By using small spatula or knife, make sure the cookie cake is not attached to the sides of the pan and gently open it. Don't remove the cake pan's bottom until the cookie cake is firm enough. While still warm, slice into 12 pieces.
- Melt 30g (1 oz) white chocolate in the oven at 210°F (100°C). Place the chopped chocolate into an ovenproof dish. When the chocolate starts melting, stir the chocolate. Continue melting-stirring as needed. When the chocolate melts, dip a fork into the melted chocolate and drizzle it over the cookie cake.