When you crave sweet, you can eat a frozen mashed banana in a dark chocolate cup. These healthy and yummy banana bites are refreshing and so easy to make with only 2 ingredients!
Today I share my healthy frozen banana bites. Last summer I shared my frozen banana bites with peanut butter. I hope you tried those yummy frozen bananas.
Banana, peanut butter and chocolate make a perfect combination. I also use this combination in my other healthy banana recipes: Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie and Peanut Butter Banana Overnight Oats. If you like you can add peanut butter to this recipe as well. In the steps section below I mention how you can add it.
These chocolate covered bananas are yummy healthy snacks. Normally I don’t like ripe bananas as I like sweet but not too sweet bananas. However, today I use ripe bananas which go well with dark chocolate.
Dark chocolate balances the sweetness of the bananas and makes these cups healthy; quilt free. Even if you are not a dark chocolate fan, you’ll love these cups as ripe bananas are sweet enough that dark chocolate doesn’t taste too dark in these cups.
Are These Banana Chocolate Cups Vegan?
Yes! However make sure you are using high-quality chocolate and read the label to be sure if you are vegan. You may want to read this article: “is chocolate vegan“.
The Ingredients For Frozen Banana Chocolate Cups
- Bananas-You should use 2 ripe bananas. Bananas are nutritious, full of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
- Chocolate-You should use dark chocolate which goes well with ripe bananas and makes these cups healthy. Dark chocolate is also very nutritious, full of antioxidants, fiber and minerals.
This recipe is so easy that you can make it any time you want to eat something sweet. You can make these chocolate cups with your kids. They will enjoy covering the cupcake liners with melted chocolate. Then they can spoon the mashed bananas, and cover the top with melted chocolate again. That’s all!
My niece helped me when I made frozen strawberry cups and she enjoyed a lot!
These healthy banana snacks are very nice treats for your guests.
You can either use mini paper or silicone cupcake liners to make the chocolate cups.
Let’s see the steps,
How to Make Frozen Banana Dark Chocolate Cups
First, melt the chocolate over bain-marie. You should place the chopped chocolate into a heatproof bowl that sits over a pan of simmering water and stir often until it completely melts.
When the chocolate melts, pour 1 teaspoon of chocolate into the cupcake liners. Then use the back of a spoon to cover the sides with chocolate. Put some more melted chocolate to uncovered parts with your spoon. Cover the sides properly and make sure there is enough chocolate at the bottom.
After covering all the cupcake liners, place them into the fridge to let the chocolate set.
While the chocolate sets, peel the bananas, slice them, put them on a plate and start to mash with a fork.
After mashing the bananas, take the cupcake liners from the fridge. Put 1 tablespoon of mashed bananas into the liners. (If you want to add peanut butter, put a little less mashed bananas, and put 1 teaspoon of peanut butter over the mashed bananas.)
Then pour melted chocolate over the mashed bananas and spread the chocolate with a spoon to cover them. Keep them in the freezer for at least 4 hours. After 4 hours, the bananas become cold but soft. If you want to eat them totally frozen, let them freeze for 8 hours or overnight.
If you like you can garnish the top of the chocolate with nuts, dried bananas but you should do this while the chocolate hasn’t set yet. Enjoy!
2 Ingredient Frozen Chocolate Banana Bites
- 2 medium-large ripe bananas
- 160 g (5,6 oz) dark chocolate, 82% cacao
- Melt the chocolate over bain marie:Place the chopped chocolate into a heat proof bowl that sits over a pan of simmering water. Stir often. Melt the chocolate in the preheated oven at 210F(100C): Place the chopped chocolate into an ovenproof dish. When the chocolate starts melting, stir the chocolate. Continue melting-stirring as needed.
- Take out 10 small cupcake liners. Put 1 teaspoon of melted chocolate into the cupcake paper or silicone liners. Using back of a spoon, cover the sides with chocolate. Use more melted chocolate to cover the sides. Put the cupcake liners into the fridge to let the chocolate set.
- Peel the bananas and slice them. Put the slices on a plate and start to mash with a fork.
- When the chocolate sets, take the cupcake liners from the fridge and put 1 tablespoon of mashed bananas into them. (If you want to add peanut butter, you can use less mashed bananas, and add 1 teaspoon of peanut butter over the mashed bananas )Pour melted chocolate over the mashed bananas and spread the chocolate with the back of a spoon. If you like you can garnish the top with chopped dried bananas or nuts before the chocolate sets. Freeze at least 4 hours for cold but soft cups. If you want to eat them frozen keep in the freezer at least 8 hours. Keep in the freezer in an airtight container and serve when ready to eat.
Update Notes: I originally shared this post on March 12, 2017. I republish it today with new photos.