You can easily make French palmiers with quick puff pastry. These crunchy palmiers are so delicious with simple ingredients!
It is so good to know that I can make quick puffy pastry in 15 minutes without compromising any flavor. When I want to eat crunchy palmiers, I only need quick puff pastry and sugar. That’s all!
Just roll out the puff pastry on a sugar-coated work surface, fold the top and bottom to the center, let it rest 30 minutes in the freezer, cut into slices and bake. There you go: You have your palmiers.
Palmiers are also called French hearts or elephant ears.
If you don’t have puff pastry in the freezer you can make quick puff pastry in 15 minutes. You can let the pastry cool in the freezer for 30 minutes and then start making the palmiers.
How to Make Sugar Palmiers
First, I make my quick puff pastry. After I keep it in the freezer for 30 minutes, I start making the palmiers.
I coat the work surface with half of the sugar and roll out quick puff pastry into almost 12*10 inches (30*25cm) rectangle. Long side stays in front of me. Then, I cover the top with the remaining sugar and I use my rolling pin to roll the sugar into the dough. I cut from the bottom and the sides if needed to make a nice rectangle.
I fold almost 1,75 inches (4,5 cm) from the top edge and 1,75 inches (4,5 cm )from the bottom edge. Later, I fold 1,75 inches (4,5cm) from the top and bottom again. Shortly, I fold two times from the top, two times from the bottom equally until they meet almost in the center.
There will be a little gap in the middle, so when you fold one side over another they meet each other.
I let it rest in the freezer for 30 minutes or until very cold. Then I cut into 0.4inch (1cm) thick slices and place them on the baking sheet, at least 2 inches (5 cm) apart as they spread during baking.
I bake them for 7 minutes until caramelized on the bottom and flip the palmiers over and bake for an additional 7 minutes or until they are golden brown. Enjoy your French palmiers!
French Palmiers with Quick Puff Pastry
- 1 recipe-330 grams Quick Puff Pastry*
- 105 g (½ cup) granulated sugar
- Make 1 recipe quick puff pastry. Keep in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the puff pastry from the freezer. Coat the work surface with half of the sugar and roll out the dough into almost 12*10 inch (30*25cm) rectangle. Let the long side stays in front of you. Cover the top of the dough with the remaining sugar and use your rolling pin to stick the sugar to the dough. Fold almost 1,75 inches (4,5cm) from the top edge and the bottom edge. Repeat this step. Shortly, fold two times from the top edge and two times from the bottom edge equally until they almost meet in the center. Then fold one side over another.
- Let the dough rest in the freezer for 30 minutes or until very cold.
- Preheat the oven to 390°F(200C°). Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Remove the dough from the freezer and cut into 0.4inch (1cm) thick slices. Place them on the baking sheet, at least about 2 inches (5cm) apart as they will spread during baking. Bake them for 7 minutes or until caramelized on the bottom and flip the palmiers over and bake for an additional 7 minutes or until they are golden brown.
Update Notes: I originally published this post on Jan 25, 2017. Today I republish with new photos.