You can easily learn how to make hot chocolate without cocoa powder with only 3 ingredients! This hot chocolate recipe is perfect for cold days that’ll keep you warm!
You’ll love this easy hot chocolate recipe from scratch that is rich and intense. It takes almost 5 minutes to make!
Let’s see the 3 ingredients for this simple recipe.
Ingredients you’ll need
You can find the exact quantities at the bottom of my post, in the recipe card.
- Milk-I use whole milk
- Chocolate– I prefer using chocolate with 64-70% cocoa. I find 80% a little bit bitter. If you want it without any bitter taste, I would suggest you use chocolate with 54% cocoa. Believe me 54% cocoa is sweet enough. No need to use any extra sugar.
- Vanilla-I use pure vanilla extract.
This recipe is very easy to make with 3 simple ingredients. You want a smooth hot chocolate without any chocolate pieces. In order to do that, you should chop the chocolate into very small pieces. This is an easy but important step about the end result.
Step by step instructions
First I chop the chocolate into small pieces. It is even smaller than the ones that I chop in my how to make chocolate ganache post. In the next step, I melt the chocolate with warm milk. So these small chocolate pieces melt easily in warm milk.
Then I place the milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When it is warm which takes 3 minutes, I add the vanilla extract.
If you prefer an intense vanilla flavor, add it at the last step, when you remove the pan over the heat.
Finally, I add the chopped chocolate into the warm milk and stir with a whisk over medium heat.
As I cut the chocolate into small pieces, it melts very quickly.
At this point, you can taste it, and gradually add extra milk if you find the mixture thick.
I remove it from the heat and pour it into glasses and serve immediately. As I mentioned above, if you prefer an intense vanilla flavor, it is best to add it after you remove the pan from the heat. You give a stir with a whisk and it is ready to serve.
You can drink this hot chocolate plain or add your choice of favorite such as whipped cream or marshmallows.
I hope you enjoy this easy hot chocolate recipe as much as I do!
Frequently asked questions
This recipe makes 2 cups but if you increase the amount and there is leftover, you can keep this cooled and covered drink in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can warm it over medium heat before serving.
It’s best to serve immediately.
As it becomes ready in a short time, you can always make it fresh. But if you want to make it ahead, you can chop the chocolate and keep in a ziplock bag and use it when you want to make this easy hot chocolate recipe.
You should also check my other delicious recipes with chocolate!
- Peppermint Chocolate Truffles
- Chocolate Cookies with Cocoa Powder
- Chocolate Fudge Brownies
- Double White Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Candy Barks with Nuts
- Homemade Peanut Butter Cups
- Chocolate Covered Apple Slices
I love hearing from you! If you try this recipe or my other recipes please leave a comment and give a star rating!
How to Make Hot Chocolate without Cocoa Powder
- 490 grams (2 cups) milk
- 130 grams(¾ cup) dark chocolate or semisweet chocolate, chopped into very small pieces*
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When the milk is warm(it takes almost 3 minutes), add in the vanilla extract. You can add it at the last step when you remove the pan from the stove for an intense flavor.
- Add finely chopped chocolate into milk and stir with a whisk until chocolate completely melts. There shouldn't be any chocolate pieces. Don't boil but remove from the heat once chocolate melts and it is hot enough. You can taste it and gradually add extra milk if you find the mixture thick. If you haven't added vanilla extract in the first step add it once you remove the pan from heat and stir with a whisk.
- Pour the hot chocolate into glasses. You can drink it plain or add favorite of your choices such as whipped cream and grated chocolate or marshmallow.
I originally shared this post on December 26, 2019. Today I share it with extra information and new photos.
Leave a Reply