You’ll love these gluten free and chewy chocolate chip cookies with almond flour. They are soft in the middle, crispy at the edges. This delicious recipe is so easy to make! No mixer needed!
If you crave soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies and look for a gluten free version, you should try today’s delicious recipe. Instead of gluten free flour blend, I am using almond flour to make these cookies gluten free.
Even if you are not following a gluten free diet, I believe you’ll love these chewy almond flour chocolate chip cookies.
If you like almond flour cookies you should also check my almond flour peanut butter cookies. My flourless hazelnut cocoa cookies are a perfect option as gluten-free cookies too. Actually, they are one of my favorite cookies. But now let’s continue with the ingredients!
Ingredients you’ll need
You can find the exact quantities at the bottom of my post, in the recipe card.
- Almond flour-I use blanched almonds. If you have almonds but don’t have almond flour you can check my post to learn how to make almond flour. It is pretty easy to make.
- Baking soda and baking powder-I like to use both as leaveners for the best results.
- Brown Sugar and granulated sugar-Brown sugar makes these cookies chewy as brown sugar contains molasses. Granulated sugar adds crispiness to the edges. If you don’t have brown sugar but molasses, you can check my post to make your homemade brown sugar.
- Butter-Melted butter adds some moisture.
- Egg-It gives structure.
- Vanilla-I use vanilla extract for flavor.
- Chocolate chips-I use mini chocolate chips.
Step by step instructions
First I mix the almond flour, baking powder and baking soda in a medium bowl.
Then I place the brown sugar, granulated sugar and melted butter in a medium bowl and stir with a whisk.
Next I mix in the egg, add the vanilla and stir with a whisk.
Finally I add the almond flour mixture in 2 batches and stir with a spoon and then fold the chocolate chips.
Using my cookie scoop, I take 1 and ½ tablespoon-big (30 grams) cookie dough and place on the parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Then I roll the pieces into balls. I place the balls at least 2.5 inches apart.
I bake for 10-11 minutes or until the edges turn golden brown. You shouldn’t overbake as the cookies won’t be moist when completely golden brown.
These cookies may look puffy once you remove them from the oven. Don’t attempt to press down the cookies as we do in my cocoa powder cookies or soft cinnamon cookies. Because the puffiness in these almond flour cookies will go after some time.
I add some extra chocolate chips on top while still hot and keep the cookies on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring them on a wire rack.
I hope you enjoy these chocolate chip cookies with almond flour as much as I do!
You can keep these cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days or in the freezer for 3 months.
You can place the cookie dough balls on a baking sheet and let them freeze before placing them in a freezer bag. These cookie dough balls can stay in the freezer for up to 3 months.
The crispiness of the edges may go after some time. If you want them crispy again, you can place the cookies in preheated oven for a few minutes.
Other gluten free treats you may enjoy!
- Apple Oatmeal Cookies
- Almond Date balls
- 3 Ingredients Peanut Butter Oatmeal Balls
- How to Make Dried Apples
I love hearing from you! If you try this recipe or my other recipes please leave a comment and give a star rating!
Gluten Free Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 215 grams (2 and ¼ cup) blanched almond flour*
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 75 grams (⅓ cup) unsalted butter**, melted
- 75 grams (⅓ cup) light brown sugar
- 40 grams (3 tablespoons) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 and ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 90 grams (½ cup) chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon extra chocolate chips to add on top
- Preheat the oven to 350°F(177°C). Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- Combine the almond flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a small-medium bowl. Set aside.
- Place the melted butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar in a medium bowl and stir with a whisk.
- Mix in the egg and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Add the almond flour mixture in two batches and stir with a spoon.
- Fold the chocolate chips with a spoon.
- Using a cookie scoop or tablespoon, teaspoon, take 1 and ½ tablespoon big (30 grams) cookie dough from the mixture. Place them on a baking sheet and make balls out of them.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Don't overbake if you want some moisture in your cookies.
- Once you remove the cookies from the oven, add extra chocolate chips on top. Let the cookies stay on the baking sheet before transferring on a wire rack to completely cool.