These delicious oatmeal banana chocolate chip muffins are soft and moist. They are light and so easy to make. It takes almost 30 minutes from start to finish to make these yummy snacks!
I love today’s recipe as much as I love my simple banana bread recipe and one bowl chocolate chip banana bread recipe. By using whole wheat flour and rolled oats, I make these muffins in a healthier way.
You’ll enjoy these soft and moist easy banana oatmeal chocolate chip muffins the same day but they even get more delicious the next days.
This recipe is a good way to use your ripe bananas. It takes less than 10 minutes to make the batter and the baking time is just 20 minutes.
They are perfect as a breakfast or snack, or anytime you want to have a delicious treat.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Bananas–I use 3 medium ripe bananas
- Whole wheat flour-provides structure, makes these muffins healthier besides making these muffins yummy delicious.
- Oatmeal-It makes a nice combination with whole wheat flour and again makes these banana muffins filling and healthier.
- Baking soda and baking powder– work as a leavener
- Granulated Sugar-I use a little as there are also chocolate chips. If you like you can use maple syrup or your choice of sweetener to make these muffins on the completely healthy side.
- Eggs-create structure
- Vanilla and cinnamon– enrich the flavor
- Melted butter and milk-enrich the flavor and add moisture
- Chocolate chips-I use semi-sweet mini chocolate chips.
How to make banana oatmeal muffins
First, I place the whole wheat flour, oatmeal, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda in a large bowl and stir. I set aside the bowl.
Then I slice the bananas, place in a medium bowl and mash with a fork.
Next, I add the melted butter, milk, sugar and stir with a whisk.
I stir in the eggs and mix in the vanilla.
Then, I add the wet ingredient mixture into dry ingredient mixture. I stir until combined.
Finally I reserve 1 tablespoon of chocolate chips aside to use them later and add the rest to the mixture and stir with a spoon/spatula.
I bake for 20-22 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
I keep them in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring on a wire rack to completely cool.
Frequently asked questions
You can keep totally cooled banana muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days and up to a week in the fridge.
Yes, you can make these muffins and store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
If you need them in 15-30 minutes, you can ripen bananas quickly in the oven at 300°F(150C°) by placing them with their peels as long as they are not very green bananas.
Don’t forget to check my apple crumble muffins, orange blueberry muffins, raspberry streusel muffins, banana carrot muffins and pumpkin banana muffins which are delicious and easy to make as well.
Other banana recipes you may enjoy!
- Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies (cookie version of these muffins)
- Frozen Banana Bites
- Peanut Butter Banana Overnight Oats
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie
- Dried Bananas
- Peanut Butter Banana Balls
I love hearing from you! If you try this recipe or my other recipes please leave a comment and give a star rating!
Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 140 g (1 cup and 3 tablespoons) whole wheat flour
- 100 g (1 cup) rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3 medium ripe bananas (335 grams peeled)
- 75 g (⅓ cup) unsalted butter, melted
- 60 g (¼ cup) milk
- 105 g (½ cup) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 90 g (½ cup) chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F(177°C). Line 12 non-stick standard paper liners into regular size 12 cup-cupcake/muffin pan and set aside.
- Place whole wheat flour, oatmeal, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt if using in a large bowl and stir. Set aside.
- Slice the bananas into a medium bowl and mash with a fork.
- Stir in the melted butter, milk and sugar.
- Mix in the egg and then the vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredient mixture into dry ingredient mixture. Stir until combined.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon of chocolate chips and add the rest to the mixture and stir with a spoon/spatula.
- Divide the batter into 12 cup muffin tin and sprinkle the reserved 1 tablespoon of chocolate chips on top of the batter.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Keep the muffins in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring on a wire rack to completely cool.