These soft and moist banana carrot muffins with warm spices are delicious and easy to make. When you want to make muffins on the healthier side, you can use this from scratch no mixer recipe that takes almost 35 minutes from start to finish! They are perfect for breakfast or as a snack.
These muffins are a healthier version of my carrot cake loaf. They taste something in between banana bread and carrot bread.
Thanks to ripe bananas we need a little sweetener. Oatmeal and whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour keep these muffins on the healthier side.
You should use a good nonstick muffin paper liner so you can take these moist muffins off from the paper easily.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Carrots-They give moisture and sweetness besides being one of the main delicious ingredients.
- Bananas– They give natural sweetness to these muffins besides being one of the main flavors.
- Olive oil-It gives moisture.
- Eggs-They create structure.
- Brown sugar-I use just a little brown sugar. If you want you can use maple syrup.
- Whole wheat flour-It gives structure.
- Rolled oats-It makes these muffins healthy and filling.
- Baking powder and baking soda-They work as a leavener.
- Cinnamon-cloves-nutmeg-These spices make these muffins delicious. If you don’t have cloves or nutmeg, you should at least use cinnamon.
- Vanilla-I use pure vanilla extract that enriches the flavor.
Step by step instructions
First, I put the whole wheat flour, oatmeal, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, baking powder and baking soda in a large mixing bowl. I stir with a whisk and set aside the bowl.
Then I peel the carrots with a vegetable peeler, grate and set aside them.
Next I place the bananas in a medium-large bowl and mash the bananas with a fork.
Then, I add the olive oil and sugar, stir with a whisk. I mix in the eggs and stir in the vanilla extract.
Next, I pour the wet ingredient mixture into the dry ingredient mixture and stir until combined.
Then I add the carrots and stir with a spoon until combined.
I bake for 24-28 minutes or until the top of the muffins become golden brown and the toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
You should let these banana and carrot muffins set in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring on a wire rack to completely cool.
Frequently asked questions
You can store these muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or up to 7 days in the fridge.
You can make and bake these muffins ahead. You can keep them in an airtight container for up to 2 months. You should thaw the muffins overnight in the fridge before serving.
Muffin and cake recipes you may enjoy!
- Raspberry Streusel Muffins
- Blueberry Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Apple Crumble Muffins
- Marble Loaf Cake
- Caramel Apple Cake
Banana Carrot Muffins
- 150 g (1 and ¼ cup) whole wheat flour
- 100 g (1 cup and 2 teaspoons) rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 and ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 large bananas (250 grams peeled/1 cup mashed banana)
- 80 g (⅓ cup) olive oil
- 70 g (⅓ cup) light brown sugar or maple syrup *
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large carrots (215-230 grams/ 2 cups grated carrots)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F(177°C). Line 12 non-stick standard paper liners into regular size 12 cup-cupcake/muffin pan and set aside.
- Place whole wheat flour, oatmeal, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and salt if using in a large bowl and stir. Set aside.
- Peel and grate the carrots. Set aside.
- Mash the bananas with a fork.
- Stir in the olive oil and sugar.
- Mix in the egg and stir in the vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredient mixture into dry ingredient mixture. Stir until combined.
- Add the grated carrots and stir with a spoon until combined.
- Divide the batter into a 12 cup muffin pan.
- Bake for 24-28 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Keep the muffins in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring on a wire rack to completely cool.