This delicious apple and blueberry crumble is an easy dessert with a tart and sweet flavor that is perfect for any season from summer to winter! It takes only 10 minutes to prepare!
You’ll love the combination of tart apples and juicy berries with a perfect crumble topping in this simple dessert. I believe you’ll enjoy this recipe as much as my apple crumble recipe. It is perfect with vanilla ice cream on top.
If you don’t like tart and sweet desserts, you can still make this fruit crumble recipe. I’ll share the necessary information under ingredients below.
Ingredients you’ll need
You can find the exact quantities at the bottom of my post, in the recipe card.
- Apples– I use Granny Smith apples which make this blueberry crumble tart. You can use Gala apples or other sweet apples if you want a sweet dessert. If you want to make a tart and sweet dessert but don’t have tart apples like Granny Smith you can take help from lemon. I mention it below more.
- Blueberries-I use fresh blueberries. I suggest you to stick with the blueberry amount that I share in the recipe card. When I used just a little more, it suddenly turned into a blueberry crumble recipe instead of an apple blueberry crumble.
- Lemon-I use a little lemon zest and lemon juice to give a fresh touch to this dessert. If you don’t have tart apples but sweet apples and you like to make something sweet and tangy, you can increase the lemon zest and juice amount.
- Flour-I use all purpose flour for the crumble and just a little for the blueberries to thicken the fruit mixture.
- Oats– I use a mixture of rolled oats and flour for the crumbles.
- Sugar-I use granulated sugar both for the crumbles and the fruit filling.
- Butter-I use melted butter for the crumbles.
- Cinnamon-I add a little ground cinnamon to the crumble mixture.
Step by step instructions
First I place the peeled, cored and chopped apples into a large bowl and mix in the lemon juice. I add blueberries, lemon zest, sugar and flour and stir with a spoon/spatula and set aside the bowl.
Next I make the crumbles. I simply stir flour, oats, sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Then I add the melted butter and stir with a spoon.
Finally, I assemble this dessert; I place the fruit mixture into a greased baking dish and add the crumbles on top.
I bake for almost 48 minutes or until the berries are bubbling from the sides and the crumbles are golden brown and crunchy.
I let it cool for almost 15 minutes and then serve. You can top it with ice cream.
You can keep cooled and covered blueberry apple crumble in the fridge for up to 2-3 days in the fridge and 3 months in the freezer. You should thaw overnight in the fridge.
Other recipes with crumbles
- Peach Crumble Bars
- Strawberry Crumble Bars
- Strawberry Crumble Cake
- Blueberry Oatmeal Bars
- Apple Pie Bars
- Apple Crumble Muffins
- Pear Muffins
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Muffins
I love hearing from you! If you try this recipe or my other recipes please leave a comment and give a star rating!
Apple and Blueberry Crumble
Apple Blueberry Filling
- 435 grams (3 large apples, 3 and ¾ cup) apples*, cored, peeled and chopped (into 0.6 inch/1.5 cm pieces)
- 185 grams (1 and ¼ cup) blueberries**
- 50 grams (¼ cup) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice*
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest*
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 95 grams (1 cup) rolled oats
- 105 grams (¾ cup) all purpose flour, dip and sweep
- 105 grams (½ cup) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 115 grams (½ cup) butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F(177°C). Grease 8 inch (20cm) square oven-proof dish and set aside.
Apple Blueberry Filling
- Place the apples into a large bowl and mix in the lemon juice. Add the blueberries, lemon zest, sugar and flour and stir with a spoon/spatula and set aside the bowl.
- Place the flour, oats, sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Add the melted butter and stir with a spoon.
- Place the fruit mixture into the greased baking dish and add the crumbles on top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until berries are bubbling from the sides, the top becomes golden brown and the crumbles are crunchy. Let it cool for 15 minutes. You can serve it with ice cream.